When it comes to home comforts, the Danish have it down! Using the principles of hygge, the concept of valuing warmth, coziness, and togetherness, Danes infuse their decor with the good feeling that arises from an aesthetically pleasing and well-curated environment. Take a leaf out of their book and use these decor tips to get the hygge flowing at home.
1) Avoid loud color schemes. Instead, create a calm space with a monochrome or delicately balanced palette: think earth tones and soft hues. A neutral color palette takes the focus away from the walls and allows the room and its comfy contents to do the talking.
2) Balance your harmonious colors with texture. A mixture of materials and patterns adds character to the minimalism whilst adhering to the color palette. Use warm, natural textiles like wood, leather, and wool.
3) To be able to truly embrace the hygge lifestyle and make space for coziness, a mess-free canvas is crucial. Try decluttering your living area and investing in smart storage solutions like cord hubs, ottoman storage boxes, and hidden shelves behind headboards.
4) Once you’ve cleared your space, create comfort by decorating with fluffy pillows, layers of blankets, and candles. Perhaps there’s a nook or a window bench you can transform into a space for relaxing with a hot mug of cocoa or a good book.
5) Candles are to hygge as water is to swimming. Transform ordinary evenings into candle-lit memories with the soft glow of candles. It’s a kinder form of light perfect for relaxing and spending quality time with loved ones. 6) Explore the simple pleasures of daily rituals in your new surroundings, and set aside time for self-care every day to instill hygge within.